Enjoy a this pretty pasta meal with your family tonight-- Bonus: It is easy on braces and hard to beat. (I used a whole grain penne to make up for the fact that I crumbled a little extra bacon on top of my dish! It was still delicious.)
- 8 oz penne or macaroni pasta
- 8 oz frozen peas
- 4 thick slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I use fat-free Greek)
- Dash of hot sauce
- 4 oz cheddar, shredded
- 4 oz fontina, shredded (or other melt-friendly cheese - not more cheddar)
- In a medium saute pan, cook the bacon to a crisp and then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, until al dente.
- Add the peas to the pasta water in the last minute of cooking.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining the pasta and peas.
- Return the pasta and peas to pot.
- Add 1/4 cup pasta water (it must be hot), the yogurt, a few dashes of hot sauce, and 1/3 of the grated cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in remaining cheese, one small handful at a time to prevent clumping.
- Add additional pasta water as necessary to thin and melt the cheese sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon, mix well, and serve.
Yields: 4 servings
Estimated time: 20 minutes
Posted on 03/31/2016 at 12:31 PM